- Community Development Projects:
Kitojo Guest Cottages offers something more than just an ordinary hotel experience in Fort Portal or Kibale National Park region. It provides guests with an opportunity to experience integrated locally initiated and managed projects geared at empowering the local people to improve their quality of life. This is done through mutual collaboration with Kitojo Integrated Development Association (KIDA), a local community based nonprofit organization. Founded by Rev. Ezra and Marjorie Musobozi, the innkeepers of Kitojo Guest Cottages, KIDA empowers the rural community through education, provision of quality and affordable health care, and promotion of self help initiatives. The specific programs include: Orphan and Vulnerable Children (OVC) education support, Vocational skills training, and education through Music, dance, and drama. Others are KIDA general hospital, KIDA Community Health Insurance Plan ( KIDA Bataka Twenjanjabe), and a vibrant Savings and Credit Cooperative Organization (SACCO).
Just O.5 Km from the guest cottages, take a tour around KIDA projects and experience how the local community is being empowered to transform their social economic life. Guests who would like to be involved, support or volunteer in any of these projects are warmly welcome. Volunteer opportunities may include helping in the hospital records, working with the orphans and vulnerable children, helping in data entry in the community health insurance Plan to mention a few. Medical professionals who would like to volunteer medical services at the hospital need to make advance request so that permission from relevant authorities is obtained for them in time.
The KIDA drama group is available on advance request to show case a wide range of the rich local culture through music, dance and drama.Visit www.kidauganda.org to get more about KIDA.
Guests can take a walk or be guided around the village to have a real experience of life in rural Uganda. They may also visit Rwaihamba Market, 2.1Km ,(open every (Mondays and Thursdays) for a special experience of the business life in a rural community”.
- Take a nature walk in the natural tropical forest to the crater valley just behind the guest cottages. The valley which is a result of an olden volcanic activity has beautiful vegetation which hosts a number of bird species such as, short tailed warbler, the blue turaco, African pied wagtail among others.
- 25 minutes away from Kibale National Park, the home of the chimpanzee, Kitojo Guest Cottages is a convenient base to use for chimp tracking, bird watching and other adventures in the Park. Guests may go out of the park and take a walk around Bigodi swamp for an additional experience of nature. From Kitojo guest cottages guests may visit other parks like Queen Elizabeth National Park (One and half hours), and Semuliki National Park (also one and a half hours).
- Located in the heart of the crater lakes region, Kitojo Guest Cottages is a convenient spot from which guests can visit a number of creator lakes either by walking, or with a bicycle or car. These lakes include Nkuruba, Nyinambuga, Kifuruka, Nyiinabulitwa, Nyabikere, Nyairya Lyantonde, Nyanswiga among others. Spot bicycles for hire are available on request.
- Visit the legendary Mabere ga Nyinamwiru caves 45 minutes.
- Visit Mahoma falls. 45 minutes